There is a “…harsh assessment of the study of self-esteem…over the past 50 years more than 20,000 studies have used some 200 self-esteem scales. Their failure…is clear; the scales’ ability to predict behavior is less than 5 percent.”
BRAIN PROCESSING Cortical information flow during flexible sensorimotor decisions
During flexible behavior, multiple brain regions encode sensory inputs, the current task, and choices. It remains unclear how these signals evolve…After a transient bottom-up sweep, there was a top-down flow of sustained task information from frontoparietal to visual cortex.
- Sensory information flowed from visual to parietal and prefrontal cortex.
- Choice signals developed simultaneously in frontoparietal regions and travelled to FEF and sensory cortex.
This suggests that flexible sensorimotor choices emerge in a frontoparietal network from the integration of opposite flows of sensory and task information. Continue reading
The fact about himself that the bullshitter hides…is that the truth-values of his statements are of no central interest to him; what we are not to understand is that his intention is neither to report the truth nor to conceal it.
Smarm, on the other hand, is never a force for good. A civilization that speaks in smarm is a civilization that has lost its ability to talk about purposes at all. It is a civilization that says “Don’t Be Evil,” rather than making sure it does not do evil.
Over time, it has become clear that anti-negativity is a worldview of its own, a particular mode of thinking and argument, no matter how evasively or vapidly it chooses to express itself…the moral and intellectual teachings of Walt Disney, in the movie Bambi: “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing at all.”
- is a kind of performance—an assumption of the forms of seriousness, of virtue, of constructiveness, without the substance.
- is concerned with appropriateness and with tone.
- …aspires to smother opposition or criticism, to cover everything over with an artificial, oily gloss.
- should be understood as a type of bullshit, then—it expresses one agenda, while actually pursuing a different one. It is a kind of moral and ethical misdirection.
- Its genuine purposes lie beneath the greased-over surface