So, where are the new ideas in marketing going to come from? What are young people and even older folks going to study — really study, in depth — to get better and smarter about marketing?
– Technology? Doubt it. That is pretty much “stick a fork in it” – done.
– Social media? Please, same as tech. How many more, gadgest, apps, screens can we shove in peoples hands/faces?
– Big data, stats etc? Possible but only a few true numbers geeks will do this.
– Current MBA and marketing course work? Nah, tired old ideas, mainly from the last century, supporting the status quo.
– Marketing company and marketing client research? Nope. Just done to support the status quo and boost careers and W-2s. BORING
– Economics? Please (again.) Those are the ideas and people that brought you the global meltdown.
OK, so where? Hmmmmm? (waiting)
I say brain science – where else? duh… Promise. (And we all know what a marketer’s promise is worth.) ANYone who really studies brain science – hard – will:
1. Be a better marketer
2. Learn a lot
3. Possibly zooom past others career wise…
NOT neuromarketing or behavioral econ, etc — but real brain science. Yes, the geeky kind.